Skip to main content

Visitors Living in the U.S.

Know about your duration of stay, the documents you need when returning back to the U.S. from abroad and how to get a work authorization card.

stamped in your passport when you arrived shows how long you can stay in the U.S. If the notation is:

  • A specific date - you can stay in the United States until that date.
  • "Duration of Status" (or "D/S") - you can stay as long as you meet the conditions of your visa.

Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnDo not confuse the notation with the .

Extend Your Stay

If you need to stay in the U.S. longer, request an  well before your visa expires. An "overstay" can result in a denial of a future visa.

(EAD) work permit, which can be issued to certain nonimmigrant visa holders. You will need the actual physical EAD card before you can start working. The card is your proof to an employer that you are authorized to work in the U.S.

Learn more about the , review the instructions and filing fee, and apply to get your EAD card.

In most cases, an EAD work permit is good for one year. If you are approved, your EAD card will be mailed to you or you may be required to visit a to pick it up.

to return to the U.S. after traveling abroad if:

  • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnYou are a foreign citizen living in the U.S. or

  • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnYou have a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

These necessary documents should be obtained before your trip. You can get them from .

Permanent and Conditional Residents

  • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnIf you’re absent from the U.S. for one year or longer:

    • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnApply for a re-entry permit using .

      • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnFor permanent residents, the re-entry permit is valid for two years from the date of issue.

      • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnFor , it is valid for up to two years.

  • If you’re absent from the U.S. for less than one year:

    • No additional document is required.

    • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnShow your upon your return.

All Other Foreign Citizens Living in the U.S.

  • Contact USCIS and your country's embassy or consulate for all document requirements.

Note: If you need a travel document, but left the U.S. without obtaining one, contact for assistance:

Share This Page:

Do you have a question?

Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miền Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnLast Updated: October 2, 2020