Skip to main content

How to Apply for U.S. Citizenship

Learn the steps for becoming a U.S. citizen including how to apply, sample test questions and what is the naturalization process. Also, find information on dual citizenship, how to get proof of your U.S. citizenship if you were born abroad or replace your lost or stolen citizenship certificate.

about the general naturalization process.

To become a U.S. citizen, you must:

  • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnHave had a for at least five years, or for at least three years if you’re .

    • You must renew your Permanent Resident Card before applying for citizenship if:

  • Your card will expire within six months of applying, or

  • Your card has already expired

  • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnYou can apply for naturalization before you receive your new Green Card. But, you’ll need to submit a photocopy of the receipt for your , when you receive it.  

  • Meet certain . To see if you’re eligible, click on the link that is most similar to your situation. Some requirements may include being:

    • At least 18 years old when you apply 

    • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnAble to read, write, and speak basic English

    • Of good moral character

  • Go through the which includes:

    • Determining your eligibility to become an American citizen

    • Completing , the application for naturalization, and . 

    • Taking the U.S. Naturalization Test and having a personal interview. Note: The U.S. Naturalization Test includes a civics portion and an English portion. If you applied for naturalization on or after December 1, 2020 and before March 1, 2021, policy changes will determine which version of the civics test you can take based on the date you are scheduled to take the U.S. Naturalization test.

      • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnIf you are scheduled to take the naturalization test before April 19, 2021, you can choose between taking the or the .

      • If you are scheduled to take the naturalization test after April 19, 2021, you will be required to take the 2008 civics test. 

Helpful Resources For Citizenship

  • This video

  • The

Take the U.S. Naturalization Test

Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnOne of the requirements in the naturalization process is taking the . The Naturalization Test has two components: a civics test and an English test.

Study Resources for the 2008 and 2020 Versions of the Civics Test

Visit the

Find .

  • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miền (with MP3 audio)

  • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miền - Study tool to help you test your knowledge of U.S. history and government. 

Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miền if:

  • You were born abroad to U.S. citizen parents, and 

  • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnYour parents did not get a for you before you turned 18.  

Foreign nationals receive a Certificate of Naturalization when they become American citizens. Get certified .

Replace Your Citizenship or Naturalization Certificates

Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miền if it was lost or stolen using .

If you have further questions, contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miền means a person may be a citizen of the United States and of another country at the same time. U.S. law does not require a person to choose one citizenship or another.

If you're a citizen of another country, contact that for information about its:

  • Laws

  • Policies

  • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnMandatory military service

Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnFor information on dual nationality from the point of view of another country, contact that country's embassy or consulate.  

If you have dual citizenship and plan to travel to or from the United States, you must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

Information about giving up or losing your U.S. citizenship is also available.

A licensed attorney skilled in citizenship matters can assist you with questions about your situation. A can often provide a good referral.

with your name and what years they searched for your birth certificate.
  • A Letter of No Record from the vital records office. You will also need to prove your birth in the United States.
  • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnIf you were born outside the United States and your U.S. parent(s) did not register your birth at the , you may apply for a U.S. passport, but you will need:

    • Your foreign birth record showing your parents' names
    • Evidence of your parent(s) U.S. citizenship
    • Your parents' marriage certificate

    If you were born outside the U.S. and your U.S. parent(s) registered your birth with a U.S. Embassy, the U.S. Department of State (DOS) will be able to help you get a copy of a  (Form FS-240).

    Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miền in that country.

    • Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnIf your birth was recorded before your 18th birthday, the Embassy or consulate issued your parent(s) a document that is proof of your U.S. citizenship. This document is known as a (CRBA or Form FS-240). Learn how to request from the U.S. Department of State (DOS).

    • If the Embassy or consulate did not issue a CRBA and you are 18 years of age or older, learn how to get a from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

    Learn more about .

    Share This Page:

    Do you have a question?

    Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

    Xổ số trực tiếp 3 miềnLast Updated: April 14, 2021